What You Need To Know about Overdrafts and Overdraft Fees
An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction, but we pay it anyway. We can cover your overdrafts in different ways:
- We have standard overdraft practices that come with your account.
- We also offer overdraft protection plans, such as a link to a Savings account or a line of credit, which may be less expensive than our standard overdraft practices. To learn more, ask us about these plans.
This notice explains our standard overdraft practices.
WHAT ARE THE STANDARD OVERDRAFT PRACTICES THAT COME WITH MY ACCOUNT?
We do authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions:
- Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number
- Automatic bill payments
- Note: Overdraft Line of Credit is subject to approval. For a full description of our policies and practices regarding overdrafts, please see our Overdraft Courtesy Disclosure.
Excludes Smart Spend Checking - for these accounts, bank does not authorize and pay overdrafts for checks and other debit transactions made using your checking account number.
We do not authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions unless you ask us to (see below):
- ATM transactions
- Everyday debit card transactions
We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction.
If we do not authorize and pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined.
WHAT FEES WILL I BE CHARGED IF TOMPKINS COMMUNITY BANK PAYS MY OVERDRAFT?
Under our standard overdraft practices:
- We will charge you a fee of up to $38.00 each time we pay an overdraft.
- There is a limit of $114.00 on the total fees we can charge you for overdrawing your account per day.
- Note: Excluding Smart Spend Checking - Overdraft fees will not be charged to a Smart Spend Checking Account. Unless you ask us to, we do not authorize and pay overdrafts for everyday debit card transactions, which are non-recurring and include, for example, buying gas using your debit card.
WHAT IF I WANT TOMPKINS COMMUNITY BANK TO AUTHORIZE AND PAY OVERDRAFTS ON MY ATM AND EVERYDAY DEBIT CARD TRANSACTIONS?
If you also want us to authorize and pay overdrafts on ATM and everyday debit card transactions, call (888)273-3210, or complete the form below and present it at any of our locations or mail it to:
PO Box 460
Ithaca, NY 14851
Thank you for your submission!
We will be in touch with you soon.